Saturday, April 15, 2006

Desperate for cotton.





My friend from school had a baby 3 years ago & when she learnt of my spinning & dying asked if I spun cotton. At that point I said "no - not yet. It's a short fiber & takes really long to spin." A few weeks ago, i decided to dye an assortment of cotton lycra sock yarn for her & her child (both of whom are allegic to wools & animal fibers). She's knitting up a sock storm. I shall be uploading images of the socks once she's done. She says stockinette works up great & that she doesn't bother with a pattern since the yarn self striped by itself. Also she finds it extremely forgiving because of the lycra in the cotton - no loss of shape.
She & her knitting bud will later be knitting shells & tanks from more yarn I've dyed.



2 comments:

Emma said...

Those are all so wonderful. i especially like the one in the middle with the shades of gray. How pretty.

Anonymous said...

i love what you are doing with the cotton lycra sock yarns. I have some blank cotton/lycra sitting in my closet and I am trying to get up the nerve to throw it in the old dyepot. What type of dye are you using? Do you find that the lycra content impacts the way the cotton absorbs the dye?