Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Art on the Avenue 2007

For those of you who live in the Alexandria/ Del Ray area in NOVA, Art on the Avenue is no stranger.
Same time last year it was freezing! The hot chocolate stands did very well. However the weather didn't completely dissuade visitors & shoppers.
But this year it was great (huge attendance). I was so impressed!
All the pictures taken were of artists & objects at the festival. The photos of articrafts are not at all representative of what I saw there. There were lots of potters, jewellers, soap makers, musicians, chefs, weavers, sculptors, knitters and others. And many many people.
For those of you who can set up shop at 'A on the A' or are thinking about it, give it a shot!

I also met a lot of artists who had heard about Etsy through the "Crafty Bastard".


Above: Etsy's own Tasha McKelvey! I've purchased beautiful earrings from her tashamck shop. It was good to see in person an artist I admire.


Above: Photographer Steve Miller. Her was selling his prints. His portrait work was impressive. I'm hoping to take his class soon.


Above: The chicken juggler. He was very popular with the kids. "And don't forget to give me some money".

Above: The soapmaker. I bought a ton of stuff from him. He & his mother make lotions & soaps. I was impressed at the subtlety of the essenses they used. Just look at that smile.

Above: An artist in her stall.

Above: A basket & gourd stall. Sorry about the picture. It was really crowded here.

Above: A Bonsai stall. I saw many people walk away with these. My mother has a zillion Bonsais & only the truly obsessed can care for them regularly.

Above: There was a lot of pottery being sold here.

Above & below: A jewelry artist & her husband.


Above: Musicians playing. They were good - had drawn a huge crowd. There were at least 3 separate bands playing here.

Above & below: Young musicians trying out instruments for sale.


Above & below: Very original printed Ts.

Below: A weaver & her work.


No comments: