Saturday, May 20, 2006

LESSONS IN SIMPLICITY.



Many master weavers would say that this ridiculously long piece of textile was a well...long mistake.
1. Intended to measure a 6 feet warp but ended up doing 12!
2. The yarns that I chose for weft gave anything but clean edges (which I love).
3. I wove the weft very randomly.
4. Changed my treadling sequence randomly (from 1/3, 2/4 to 1/2, 3/4)

However, as I sat weaving the never ending project in the studio, 3 feet into it, I had a 'moment'. This is what I strove to acheive in all my projects as a student of architecture- beautiful simplicity.
2 colors & 3 textures. And whimsy. Eash time I look at this textile, I'm taken back to every project I ever did in grad or undergrad when I could finally take a step back & say 'I think this'll do'.
The warp was a poppy red mercerised cotton. The weft was a rayon flake in a grey/green/blue & a red (same color as warp) nylon blend that was much thicker. You don't see the thread but you DO so the texture it creates!

No comments: